acura forums   acura forums

Go Back   Acura Forum > Acura Forum (Acura Cars No Longer Produced) > Acura Vigor Forum

Notices

Acura Forum: What could cause an 94 Acura Vigor to stall out constantly, more at stops,

Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Default What could cause an 94 Acura Vigor to stall out constantly, more at stops,

to smoke under the engine,? ? Hi. I just bought a car off craigslist. It had been sitting for a few months, it had a bad radiator, so I replaced that and the thermostat. The man I bought it from, and a mechanic, swore nothing else was wrong with it, except it needed brakes, and a new coil(I believe for the tire, but not sure, to mad to remember) It smoked under the engine, and they both said not a problem, so I bought it. Well, that same day when coming to any stop, or pulling away from a stop, it would stall out. Soon, it was stalling out a while driving after driving for a long period of time. One day, the smoke came IN the car I guess through the vents, which it smoke randomly, not the whole time when driving it. It smells like burnt plastic, or just burnt something, but not antifreeze, I have smelled that before(another wise car buying decision) and not oil, which that is what the man I bought it from swore it was. This last time it broke down and I couldn't get it to turn over. After waiting an hour, I finally got it started. It produced smoke from the exhaust pipe for the very first time, and it did not last long, and it was not think, but not just a little steam either. It did not last long at all maybe a few minutes, if that, I proceeded to drive it home, it stalled twice when coming to stops, but nothing else, and I stopped more than twice, as well as I didn't see that smoke again after that bit of time. I thought it had something to do with the fuel line, so I did the cleaner in the gas tank twice, still doing the same. Oh, two more things, when I run the AC, it run even rougher, as well as stalling out more quickly, and when looking at the engine one of the many times, I noticed that there was a minor crack in a hose, but I am not sure which one, it leads to a box that tell me the listing of filters on the car, I would only guess it is the Air filter. I can not afford to take it to a mechanic, so I have to try and self diagnose. Please, someone with a mechanical back round HELP ME!!! Thank you so much.

P.S. If you are someone that lives or strives to leave a smart comment's on here, save it, it is done and over with, yeah, I bought it, I do not have the money to buy a new car, I bought it cause I BELIEVED I knew what I was getting into, so save the "your a dumb ass" comments, I don't care to hear them, and I will be forced to argue and get smart back. Other than that, Everyone with the right agenda, I really appreciate any help you can offer..

lose weight
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Wow!! Where to begin? A car that sits has a death wish but a couple months should not be horriffic. It is true that smoke under the hood is porbably from oil settling on the exhaust header from normal seapage of the valve covers or other engine leakage. When the engine heats up the oily residue tends to burn away creating the smokey condition. That is usually not a significant problem once burned away.The "needed a new coil" remark is possibly indication that the owner knew something was amiss.I am sorry not to be familiar with a vigor to know weather it has coil packs or one individual coil.Any rate,I would try and diagnose by pulling the spark plugs to see if any are fuel fowled or oily.If you have an autozone in your area they usually will plug in a diognostic tool and read the codes and sometinmes give you an idea what is wrong. Good Luck.